
I have to preface this by saying, Fiona is not a crybaby. She's the type of little kid that will totally biff and just pick herself up and dust herself off and keep running.
Last year, at Easter, we were starting the easier part of chemo, after 9 months of brutal stuff. A wonderful friend in our ward bought her at Easter hat and bunny ears off the dollar rack at Target. Fiona absolutely loved the ears and wore them all of the time. She would take the time to bend the ears as she felt that day. The day before Easter, she was starting to put the ears on and the headband part broke. She looked at me and literally burst into tears. I felt so bad. My poor baby had taken such joy in her bunny ears and it broke her heart.
That day I drove to Target at about 9pm in order to pick up another set of bunny ears. There were none to be had anywhere. The shelves were decimated and I was starting to panic as I had told her that the Easter bunny would know that she needed a new set of ears. I walked past someone from church, also in an Easter daze and she paused and turned and apologized for walking past me. I told her, no problem, I was pretty focused myself. I told her what had happened and how sad we all were. She said, oh, we are kind of old for ears around our house and I got rid of all of ours last year. I left and went home and resolved to explain to Fiona in the morning that we would go to several stores and find her some new ears.
The next morning the girls enjoyed their baskets and we didn't really talk about the ears. They loved their baskets full of items to be used at our Make A Wish trip to Disney World and after the excitement was over, I went outside to get the newspaper and found a pair of bunny ears tied to our front door. My shock told my girls that I had nothing to do with this Easter Bunny. We talked about it and figured the Easter Bunny had had to come back with the ears.
A few weeks later at church I had the pleasure of running into this wonderful sister in the hall at church. I stopped her and thanked her. Her face went blank trying to think of what she could've done for me. I reminded her of the bunny ears and she sort of colored with embarrassment, ah the joys of being a redhead. She asked how I knew it was her. I told her she was the only person I had told. I also told her about the happiness and wonder she brought to both of my girls.

2 comments:
What a wonderful story. Isn't it comforting to know that wherever you go in the world, there is a church family filled with people who love you and want to make you happy. God bless this woman who went the extra mile to make Fiona's day. She deserves it! Happy Easter.
That is so sweet! And your little bunny is simply adorable. :)
Post a Comment