Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Death Mark's Not Any Easy Thing To Live With


Heehee, if you know where that's from give yourself a few brownie points. I'll get back to that in a second.

I went on my second field trip, in as many weeks, today. I went to the Oil Ranch with Fiona and a bunch of kindergartners. It's a place where city kids can learn more about farms and the great outdoors. We did all sorts of stuff, feeding cows on a hay ride, (we were riding), petting and grooming baby goats, finding chicken eggs. One thing Fiona really excelled at. I guess it's genetic, my dad grew up on a farm and developed massive forearms from milking cows. She walked up to the cow and got milk out of all four nipples. We couldn't find any other kid who got milk out of that cow. Most impressive.

They gave us the opportunity of taking our kids home with us when the trip was over. I had to debate with myself, on one hand, she could be pretty tired, on the other, I would be giving up an extra 2 and a half hours alone!! But, thinking I could get brownie points with hubby and Fiona, I brought her home. She wanted to lay down and watch The Empire Strikes Back.

It's funny how some things can make you happy just thinking about them. The winter before last, when Fiona was really getting hammered with chemo, we would take the opportunity to climb into my soft bed and watch whatever Star Wars was on HBO on our big screen TV. The thought of how happy that made us back then, makes me happy just to think about it now.

So, both of us girls are sitting on our comfy couches, playing on the computer and watching The Empire Strikes Back. Oh, so, the title of this entry is a line from the movie. Hubby said he always thought it sounded weird back when he was a little kid.

Thank heavens, all field trips are over until next year. I hear the 1st graders go to the zoo...sigh..that's just down the street from Texas Childrens! I can't imagine having to ride in the bus all of the way down there.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Often the most simple pleasures are the best! Like snuggling with your kids in front of a good movie. Enjoy!

juli said...

What a fun day and wonderful ending! I love to snuggle on the couch under a quilt and watch a movie - especially a classic!