Sunday, December 2, 2007

SAD~ Seasonal Adjustment Disorder


I had heard about this disorder before. The seasonal thing where the weather makes you depressed. I have never been one for depression. It sort of comes as a slight response to what is going on, but my Pollyanna attitude usually quickly overcomes the circumstances, I retreat into a good book (good being relative...some trashy chicklit can be termed good if it suits my mood) and I look up an hour later and feel better from having escaped into someone else's world and their minor problems. Last year was tougher than most to recover from, occasional sadness wise. I never thought that part of it might be due to the weather. Ever since we've moved here, it has been mostly sunny and relatively warm. I have been overwhelmed with energy and purpose. Of course, this might have to do with the new house and the new list and different list of things I need to accomplish. I was up until 11pm last night painting. I started out painting over the red accent wall in the kitchen, very small wall, I just wanted it ready when I started painting the kitchen on Monday. Then I figured since I had the paintbrush and primer out, I could start painting primer on the walls in the dining room. Then I told myself, I needed to put everything away and go take a bath. But, I really, really wanted to see what the new color would look like in the kitchen, so I started painting and finally about 11pm, I forced myself to put everything away. The color is so lovely in the kitchen, it looks like melted soft serve chocolate ice cream.
Every morning I wake up with things to do and to finish. And every morning I am happy about it. I have a LOT to do every morning. I can't even get to maintenance cleaning yet. I try and clean stuff as I come across it, but the bathrooms are being neglected and the floors could use more care. But wildly enough, I don't care. I am excited to paint and get stuff ready for the carpet to be installed.
Which leads me back to SAD, was I suffering from this seasonal disorder? Or has going to a new place, away from things that reminded me of Fiona's awful time last year and away from proximity to my family (where I don't flinch when the phone rings) just made things better? I have to say my hands haven't been cold since we've moved here.
I am just happy to say that things are great and I am actually semi enjoying the painting that I said I would never do again. Do you suffer from this? Do you think that a warm sunny climate would make you feel better? We'll see how I react when it gets hot and muggy, but I am also looking forward to sliding out the back door into the lovely pool with my girls.

2 comments:

liz said...

I think I do struggle a little in the winter, especially here where we get cold. I hate being cold. And it's so dark. And I don't feel like shoveling snow, which is covering my front walk at the moment. Your paint looks great! Isn't painting rewarding? I know what you mean about moms rarely seeing the fruits of their labors.

Lori said...

When I returned to work this spring, I was placed in a different job. This role doesn't have as many urgent deadlines. Because I was used to a fast pace, I found myself lacking energy and motivation. I realize that I need to be needed. If it's grey and rainy (like today), I can still be in a great mood if I'm needed and productive.