Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 4

We left my sister's as soon as we could get going. It was very sweet, more than half way there, my mom calls and asks where we are on the Interstate. I drove, basically because I have a lead foot on the freeway and I didn't want to be irritated with TD over his getting a speeding ticket. Plus, I didn't have to hear anyone else moan about having to drive. We were just over an hour outside of Medford. Unfortunately we got there about 10 minutes after he was wheeled into surgery. That's right, during the camera procedure, they figured that a stent wouldn't be enough and he was upgraded to a triple bypass. Nice, huh? One of those times you don't really want to be upgraded.
When we got there, my little brother, Bubba, was there. His boss was kind enough to kidnap him from work and send him to the hospital to keep my mom company. It was so good to see him. He didn't seem too much different from the last time I saw him. He and TD took the girls to my parents house to hang out and I sat down to wait with my mom. She cried when I got there. If there were any lingering bad feelings, they evaporated. All I saw was my mom scared and anxious. I really should say that I thank her for writing that email. She spent her entire life trying to please my grandma and make her happy. When I received the email and had to decide that I didn't care what my parents thought, I was free from measuring myself against their opinion.
My dad was in surgery for a few hours. My mom and I sat around and just chatted. When he came out and we got to see him, he honestly looked good. I could genuinely say that to my mom. He looked like he was just peacefully sleeping, of course with the exception of the tube in his mouth.
So, that was my day. It seemed rather typical. I think I have gotten way too used to hanging out in hospitals. I am going to have to stop that.

No comments: