This is a picture Fiona drew me a month ago. Here's how our conversation about it went:
Fiona: Here's a picture of you Mama. You are crying. It's when we found out I had cancer.
Me: Oh, did you know why I was crying back then?
Fiona: No.
Me: Do you know now why Mama was crying?
Fiona: Yes.
She's such a smart little girl. When she was first diagnosed I told her that I was going to have crybaby moments. That's what we called them. Random moments when I would just start crying.
Now, it's been her turn to start crying. She has been testing her boundaries, which I am unused to because usually we take care of this in the first 4 years or so. She's 5 and a half now. But, I will take her somewhere, like childwatch at the YMCA and she will pitch a big hairy fit. It happened twice this week. Monday night, my husband let her come back home without us working out. On the way home, she cried that she wanted to stay. I had to do some laps at the Y yesterday and she tried the same thing. I told her she has to stay no matter. She had a good time. Then today, I took her to a friend's house for a weekly playdate. Her mom has graciously offered to take Fiona to get her adjusted to being away from me. She cried herself silly before I left her there, so I took her home. I told her that she had to take a nap when she got home. After we left, she wanted to go back. I had to tell her she wasn't in charge. She is currently taking that nap. I am grateful for the friends that take her to play because I want her to get used to being out in the world before kindergarten starts.
PS, get a load of those drawing skills!

2 comments:
Isn't hard not to spoil these kids like crazy? You're doing a great job of finding that balance between setting clear limits and choosing your battles. It can't be easy!
What a tender story about that drawing. Sweet little thing! Hope you have a great b-day week!
Post a Comment