Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My Sunday Girl


Meet Kate. Her mom is one of my best friends in our ward. She has graciously given up her youngest on Sundays to let me get my much needed baby love. Being pregnant is not one of my strong suits and the doctors have kindly recommended we not have any more princesses, or princes for that matter. SO, since my only nieces and nephews are several thousand miles away and my siblings nearby have not decided to reproduce, I get my fix at church. There are plenty to find there. I think about 90 children sang about Mothers on Sunday. That's not including our three nurseries. (children 18 months to 3 years) I think we had 16 babies born in our congregation last year alone.

I believe Kate started the trend. She was born on December 28, 2005 and thus, at the end of next month, I will be shopping for a new Sunday child. I would say girl, I just prefer them, but there have been a lot of boys born in our ward this year. Kate is headed off to nursery.

Bless all of you moms who pass off your children to those less fortunate. I think I would be baby hungry if I couldn't sneak up on someone and very politely ask to hold their progeny. I was never one of those nice moms. I didn't want to give up my first and Fiona wouldn't even go to the hubby until she was about 7 months old.
I was very lucky that Kate took to me from the start. She would do things for me that she wouldn't do for her parents. She slept in my lap during Sunday school. My sister tried to get her to be quiet during Relief Society by shushing her, which backfired because now when ever anyone tries to shush her, she screams.
I hope she will remember me when she gets bigger and not just as Crazy Church Lady (hubby coined the phrase, haha!)

3 comments:

liz said...

I've always loved holding babies, and started doing just what you've described at about age 10. At this point, however, I would pass off any one of my offspring just for the asking, for all or any part of church. Tip: look for the baby that's #4 or #5 in the family. His/her mother will be so grateful.

Anonymous said...

That's what I do! Kate is number 4 and her brother is only 19 months older than she is.

Lori said...

I wasn't sure that I wanted children of my own. I have always loved kids but wasn't sure I wanted the 24/7 responsibility that came along with them. Then around age 29, I heard God's urging to make the leap. So we started trying. A miscarriage followed by years of infertility really helped convince me that my desire to be a Mom was real. (God works through ALL things.) That's when baby-fever set in for me. Now I'll hold/play with/spoil any child you put in front of me. I guess for some of us, the fever takes a little longer to build.