Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summer Fun

So, after the party of Tuesday, the weather seemed to calm down. The weatherman keeps telling me how horribly hot everything is, but when you go from a cranked a/c car, to an equally cranked up a/c building, it's kind of hard to tell. In fact, sometimes I have to convince myself to go swimming. Why would I take off my comfortable clothes and put on my swimsuit when it's fairly cool in the house? I did make it more fun for myself, I bought myself a new swimsuit, which I have not done in years! I have gotten by with swim shorts and tankini tops. The swim shorts are too big and make it difficult to really swim and the tankini tops are usually too small, length wise. It's tough being tall. If I can get something long enough, they usually presume I am over weight and I am drowning in extra fabric. But, I found out that JcPenney online has tall swimsuits, plus they were half price. That's the other thing, I can find tall swimsuits online, but I am not willing to pay $100 for them! I can't steal the picture, but here's the link. The smallest size fit, which is good because, like I said, they assume that you are bigger if you are taller.

We went to the neighborhood pool, with some friends, on Friday. It's only the second time I have been to the neighborhood pool since we moved here. I mean, we have a pool in the backyard for crying out loud. But part of my fun summer included taking the girls to the end of school party. Apparently, most of Fiona's class lives in our neighborhood. I got to hang out with the moms and so when one suggested we do it again, I was more than willing. The girls thought we were really fancy when we had pizza delivered to the pool. I have to laugh, I felt a bit fancy myself.

We also went to the Half Price Book store and got our first set of gift cards. Now, you can't collect them and buy something really wild at the end, but you have to use them one at a time. Fiona picked out Holes. She has loved this book ever since her teacher read it to the class this year. Her book was cheap enough that she got a bookmark as well. This bookmark said a house without a cat is not a home. She and I both agreed it was an appropriate sentiment for our house. Buttercup could not decide, but ended up with one of the Princess Diary books. I had to pay $1 for hers, but all in all, pretty cheap! On the way home we stopped at Taco Bell because I had coupons for a free Limeade or Margarita. The girls were concerned that they would get all liquored up if they got a Margarita, LOL. I told them it simply wasn't possible. I also figured out that I had purchased multiple copies of the newspaper that this coupon had come in, so they are going to be able to try different flavors.

Fiona and I also took a friend shopping. She had recently had surgery and needed some comfier clothes than what she had. Buttercup stayed to help watch her kids. We had fun, Fiona was her usual opinionated self when it comes to fashion. She's so funny, some things you are just born with.

Then, on Saturday, we got up and did something early, which is totally not like us. TD thought he needed to go into work and was intent on having company, not that everyone wanted to go. Right after we got in the car he found out that someone had already taken care of it. So, we went to Shipleys and bought doughnuts...YUM! They have this glazed cinnamon twist that I always get at Texas Childrens when Fiona has to skip breakfast before a CT scan. Then we took the girls to a park to eat their doughnuts and play. We ended up skipping our usual Saturday morning body pump class because I just didn't want to go. Our Y is getting SO overcrowded it's insane and sucking the fun out of working out. Seriously, on Monday, I wanted to take a cell phone pic and post it showing how the Zumba class is a case for the Fire Marshall. But this week, I won't be doing most of my usual stuff because the girls are taking a writing camp through the school district and I will be taking pity on them and working out while they are gone, so they can avoid the mess that is Childwatch.

I know that this was the first week and a half of summer vacation, but it has been wonderful. It's honestly the first summer vacation that I didn't dread the loss of my freedom. I also don't feel like I have to constantly keep going. I don't have many deadlines, like during school when I know the girls are going to be home at a certain time and I HAVE to accomplish things. I hope your summer is going fabulous and of course, for those of you in Oregon, welcome to summer break!

No comments: