A year tomorrow, I was sitting in the hospital with Fiona desperately waiting for a definite diagnosis. The terror of the first night had receded, if they don't know what it is, but she is being taken care, we will just focus on taking care of her. I didn't cry again, until I was sitting with the doctor discussing her definitive diagnosis.
Today I was again in the hospital, this time with Buttercup hoping for a definitive diagnosis. She woke up early this morning, puked twice and then developed a fever. I figured it was just a bug until she started writhing in pain. Buttercup isn't a crybaby. When she says it hurts, she generally means it. So, I called the advice nurse and she recommended the ER. Sigh, I hate the ER. Fiona and I have been taking turns going to the ER since 2000. This was Buttercup's first trip as a patient. I worried that she was developing appendicitis. I left Fiona with Hubby, because the ER isn't the best place for an immuno-suppressed little girl. She insisted she could go because she goes to the hospital all of the time.
It turns out, she could have come. We have a new hospital, fairly close and it is so Quiet! What a joy, for an ER. There were only a few other patients. Buttercup got labs drawn. She hates, hates needles. I had to help her collect a urine sample. Oh, the things they never tell you when you talk about the joys of impending motherhood. She said it was pretty weird having your mom watch you pee. She got an ultrasound and they couldn't see her appendix. So, they thought she should get a CT. I hid in the technician box because I have gotten my fair share of radiation in the last year.
She got a shot of phenergen, this nice anti nausea medicine. It gave her some much needed rest. It also made her loopy. She slept through her trip down the hall to ultrasound and she woke up when the technician was applying the goop. She looked startled and said, aren't you going to give me some sleepy medicine. She thought they were just going to take the thing out already! Poor girl.
So, they sent us home. Her labs were fairly normal, and they couldn't find the appendix on the CT. Apparently she was too skinny to see it....which sounds weird. She is still running a fever now, but she seems better. They told us to come back in 8 hours for a recheck, but I don't think she needs it.
But, that was our Saturday. 5 hours getting her checked out. I should have brought a bigger book!

4 comments:
I hope she's ok! What a scary moment/total nuisance. Can you believe I've never been to an ER for me or a child of mine? Knock on wood. An occasional visit to the urgent care clinic for an ear infection is the worst we've had. Hope you don't have to go back any time soon.
I didn't hear about this traumatic episode the other night! Don't we "share all" at book club? :) Is she ok now? I hope so!
Thank you for giving me your address!
Oh boy! That's too much excitement for one mom. No one should have to spend as much time in the ER as you have. I'm praying for you all! Oh and I hope you've got an answer to the big job/move!!!
Buttercup is fine. We made her stay in bed the next day and then take it easy on Monday. Who knows what made her do that. Thank heavens no one else is vomitting.
Post a Comment