Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Avatar

I know, we were probably the last people on earth to watch this movie. The theater we were in only had 4 other people in it. Granted, it was the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, but I think most people have already seen it. That let's me talk all about it!
This was a pretty good movie. I am not sure it would be on my top ten list of all time. I think part of it had to do with wearing the 3-D glasses. Having spent most of my life trying to avoid my glasses, wearing a different pair for 3 whole extra hours isn't my idea of a good time. Plus, there were some shots that they needed to not shoot in 3-D. You just can't do the running camera thing in 3-D without making people ill.
The story was fine, I really like war type movies or thrillers and for the most part those usually have pretty thin story lines. I go to be entertained, not instructed usually. I did notice that he seemed to borrow from a few movies. When they first meet the Chief, I made some joke about missing Magua from Last of the Mohicans and guess what?! He was the one that voiced the chief. That scene totally reminded me of when Nathaniel went to ask for the lives of the English girls in that movie.
Side note: I love Last of the Mohicans. When I was pregnant with Fiona and half dead on the couch, puking non stop, I watched Last of the Mohicans and The Mummy every single day for at least two weeks. Funny, I never have any feelings of nausea (which I have associated with other movies from this time) with those movies.
James Cameron did an amazing job with CGI in this movie. Most of the time we really forgot that these people weren't physically real.
Oh! Another thing that killed me about this movie was the expense. We were looking at our local IMAX theater which, when combined with 3-D, would've been about $40! For the two of us to watch a movie. That's just ridiculous. I told TD I couldn't say I would spend that much to watch one of my favorite movies ever, much less something I hadn't ever seen. We managed to compromise at a regular theater for $16. Much better. And the movie industry wonders why people aren't watching more movies. We could've purchased a couple of movies on DVD for that price and watched them until they fell apart.
I would have to say see this movie. It's amazing in the theater and I am not sure you can get the full effect at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI... you are not the last to see it... we still haven't. :) Don't know that we ever will either... we don't get out much these days. :)

Erin said...

I thought we were last to see it and we saw it weeks ago ;) JUst kidding. I liked it much more than I thought I would.