We got some sad news this past month. Our normally great health insurance benefits are changing. I really feel that TD's company is using the idea that, while they don't think the national health care plan is going to pass, they can use it to scare us into being happy with whatever they shove at us. This is especially scary for our family because between Fiona and myself, any year could be fairly catastrophic in the money department for health issues. Instead of a straight forward HMO, we now have deductibles, percentages paid, higher co-pays, etc. I have never wanted to have the percentages thing because I worry that it will come down to suffering versus shelling out the major cash to fix something. That's really for me or TD, we would never do something like that with the girls.
So, I am going through our current bills and filtering out things we don't really need, just in case. I am not expecting anything to happen, but our health care is going up (with less coverage, nice, huh?) and Buttercup is starting a long teeth straightening process (don't let your kids suck their thumbs!). One place we can cut is our home phone. We hardly ever use it, plus I have an extra cell line and over 3,000 rollover minutes. This way, TD, the girls and I all have a phone we can use. But I am on the fence. Also, we could switch from Comcast to satellite and save.
Do you have ideas or comments on this? Any concerns or things that have happened to you? I just want to make things easier on our family and not lose our current standard of living in case something else happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No ideas, sorry, just commiseration. Andrew's insurance (which we are continuing thru Cobra)is the percentage/co-pay type, and those lab costs can really add up. It's tough. We've been thinking about cutting the landline. If you do that, you'll have to let us know how it goes. We don't have cable anymore--we watch our favorite TV shows via the internet. Most shows broadcast over the internet the next day. One added benefit of this--much fewer commercials. We cut the kids hair ourselves, which helps too. I'll try to think of other cost-saving ideas and pass them on.
Post a Comment