Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dinnertime

I am going back to my basics for dinner time that I started when Fiona was sick. Freezer meals! Seriously, when people would ask me what they could do to help, I would encourage them to bring dinner. They would scoff that off and end up not doing anything. Which was fine, I didn't want to pressure anyone, but just about the best help I ever got was when someone would bring a dinner (thanks Ranell, you were the best!). My day, while Fiona was on steroids, would involve cooking all day long. She didn't want a bag of Cheetos, she wanted homemade nachos, later followed by a hot dog, later on she would want a taco. You catch my drift. So I spent all day cooking and cleaning. When dinnertime rolled around, I was really indifferent to coming up with dinner ideas.

Now, I am again back to being indifferent at dinnertime. Sort of a combination of the hot weather and the nausea. Then I remembered how much I loved having freezer meals. I have a few that are tried and true and I have started compiling more recipes. It also helps that we never eat an entire recipe of something. We can eat half and freeze the other half.

So, I combed through my recipes and borrowed a few cookbooks from the library. It is really easy to find recipes, especially if you start with a good cookbook that tells you what freezes well and what doesn't. This time around I don't have an outdoor freezer, so instead of putting the meals into disposable pans, I am pouring them into ziploc freezer bags and it's amazing how many meals I can fit into my side by side. I got several chicken recipes in last week and I am going to work on hamburger this week. I am just not ambitious (crazy?) enough to do one of those cook for a day, eat for 30.

5 comments:

Trina said...

I was just thinking today about what our kids & babysitters will eat when Jason and I are gone in December, and realized I'd better get to freezing some meals. So you know, if you want to blog some of your successes, I wouldn't cry!

Kathy said...

Good to know Ranell is good for a dinner ot two!

LCM said...

Kathy, Ranell was awesome. She would just call up and say she was bringing us dinner on a particular day. And she brought the best tasting stuff.
Trina, I think I will post a few recipes on my other blog and let you know when I have posted them. I have some really tasty stuff. Even things I thought didn't look spectacular, my entire family loved, which is odd.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I keep wanting to get into freezer meals, thinking it will help simplify my life, but it is the initial time investment that scares me. :-)

Ranell is always willing to bring over a meal. It is one of her many great qualities.

I, on the other hand, am terrible at bringing meals. I am self conscious of my cooking ability, so I would much rather watch kids, which I am much better at doing.

But, I do agree that there is nothing better than a meal cooked by someone else!

Good luck! Share any great recipes you find! I hope you feel better soon.

Trina said...

Ooh! Thanks for posting! I'll go add your other blog to my reader right now.