Wednesday, November 28, 2007

In My Absence

So, we are in our lovely new house. My new Sony laptop died around the same time I made my last post. I called their service number and they knew what was wrong without with an actual examination. Makes you wonder, huh? Does Sony make lemons?
Dear Hubby was kind enough to get me a Dell while we are waiting for the other laptop to be fixed. He and the girls are going to share the lemon.
Things have been so crazy. When we moved into the house, I realized how bad the carpet was. Then we saw all of the marks left on the walls by the movers. Since I am the family painter, there was work to be done. Also, when we were touring the house, the oatmeal walls with cream trim didn't do much for me. First to be painted, Buttercup's. She and I chose this lovely lavender blue color from Walmart. The color is so bright and pretty. I also made a trip to IKEA to buy her a bedframe, nightstand and bookcase. She doesn't know this yet, hubby wants us to wait until Christmas. Plus I figure, if we don't have them up when the carpet layers come we don't have to move them.
Fiona's room is staying the same. She will like the green and the bunnies for some time to come.
I painted the spare room for my little sister, jokingly. She has been voted most likely to come and visit us, so we let her pick the color. She wanted purple or blue, so I got some pretty mauve color (named Naughty Neutral!). Then I painted the hallway and the lower half of the dining room. All of this whilst organizing the house, cooking Thanksgiving dinner and setting stuff out for Christmas.
I have to say that all of this has been incredibly rewarding. Very few times do stay at home moms get verifiable proofs of their labor. I should also tell you the time I got a major bank to push through our home loan in half the time. Even our realtor was impressed.
The girls are settled in school. I absolutely love all day school. It leaves me much happier for them when they get home. I can do what I need to while they are gone.
On a sadder note, Fiona has had some hair loss. She hasn't noticed it yet, but Buttercup did. For a few days it threw hubby and me into some depression. I had to keep reminding us that it's a sign of the cure, not a sign of the disease returning. Sometimes, it's tough. Cancer is such an unpredictable thing. They tell you 75% success rate. Then you realize that's just for 5 years. Then you see the St. Jude's commercials on TV and it's so heartbreaking. I absolutely hate those commercials.
Other than that, we are doing pretty well. Well, all of us, except 'T' the cat. Poor guy. He got a rude welcome to Houston, when on one of his first nights outside, we had fabulous thunder bumper of a storm. I didn't notice, neither did Fiona. We were tired. Dear Hubby, on the other hand, lay awake for most of the night and Buttercup complained as well. T has resorted to hiding under beds and has to be talked outside to go potty. He doesn't stay out there long.

5 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

I want to see pictures of all of the pretty colors you painted in your house! I LOVE painting walls. I wish I could have been there to help. And a new computer? Lucky girl.

I hope Fiona is doing alright. Is she feeling ok? Is it too hot there to wear her cute hats?

LCM said...

I will post pictures once the transformation is complete. Fiona has been feeling fine. But she's announcing her anxiety through 'tummyaches'. Just yesterday I got a call from the school right after I sent them and they said Fiona had a stomachache. I went there and she was fine. We talked to the counselor and I walked her to class and she had a great day. I went back to giving her something to earn, to make her have a good day today. She got some Hannah Montana underwear and I let her 'earn' some for her sister. It sure helps her.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I was thinking the same thing, where are the pics? I can't believe how much painting you did. I am so impressed.

I am sorry to hear about Fiona. She is such a sweet girl and it has been amazing to me to watch all of you and your strength. Cancer is horrible. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

liz said...

I've missed you -- had almost given up! Now I check and find three posts. Glad things are going well (other than the hair loss -- that's the pits).

Lori said...

I'm with Liz. I just checked back in and BOOM, three new fun posts to read!

I have been known to swear at the TV when a St. Jude's commercial comes on. St. Jude's and Susan Komen are MASTER fundraisers. (Unfortunately for those of us to don't need to be reminded of the need for cancer research.)

Can't wait to see pics of all of your handiwork.